Job Title: Director: Business Development and Social Enterprise
Location: Remote work available with priority given in the following locations;
• Kawartha Lakes, Ontario
• Iqaluit, Nunavut
• Pangnirtung, Nunavut
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Manages: Productions Team
Direct management of:
• Lead Designer (Graphic Design, UI/UX)
• Lead Software Developer and;
• Co-Design Coordinator
Salary: $75,000-85,000 (Southern Canada) $110,000-$120,000 (Nunavut)
Closing Date: April 11, 2022
The Pinnguaq Association is seeking an experienced, passionate leader to advance the diversification of our revenue streams by leading our search for both mainstream and non-traditional revenue sources through social enterprise. Nominated as “Best Social Enterprise in Canada” in 2017, the Pinnguaq Association is seeking someone with the capacity to grow and manage our work through what we call “The Pinnguaq Studio”.
Pinnguaq Studios is the social enterprise initiative of Pinnguaq Association. Offering design and software development services that centre co-design as a process between our clients and our partner rural, remote, and Indigenous communities.
Working closely with the Chief Executive Officer and the Chief Development Officer, the Director: Business Development and Social Enterprise will continue the implementation of a strategy to diversify our revenue streams and increase touchpoints in the Pinnguaq Lifecycle for participants and clients. This work supports our overall mission of supporting opportunities to connect our communities to Education, Mentorship and Employment.
What Success Looks Like In This Job
- Further the organization’s mission to deliver unrivaled programs that inspire those in Indigenous, rural and remote communities to cultivate digital skills through innovative technology, art, and play.
- Increase core operational revenue to decrease reliance on government funding;
- Address a gap in the market for inclusive design and development practices;
- Support communities in defining projects and approaches to education, innovation, economic development and sustainability through the co-development of digital products;
- The Pinnguaq Association is able to deliver internal and external projects efficiently, in turn building healthy relationships with external partners.
The Director of Business Development and Social Enterprise will be responsible for creating the success identified above through planning, coordination, administration and implementation of the strategies developed. This is not limited to, but will include;
- Management of a team of between 12-17 staff and contractors through the direct management of three team leads for the Software Development Team, Graphic Design Team and Co-Design Team.
- Setting strategic direction for the division through OKRs (Objectives and Key Results) to guide its growth in partnership with the organizational OKRs and the pending strategic plan.
- Support the management of projects both internal (for the Pinnguaq Association) and external (for clients)
- Support the implementation of efficient workflows to ensure successful iterative and incremental development and continuous improvement.
- Act as a representative of the company and studio with clients, co-design interns and other stakeholders to ensure projects go above and beyond the expectations of all parties.
- Negotiate partnerships and agreements for projects through the Pinnguaq Studio Co-Design philosophy.
- Support and expand upon a business strategy that matches our priorities around co-design, design justice and support the building of sustainable opportunities to diversify revenue streams of the Pinnguaq Association
Social Enterprise Development
- Support direction and strategy that makes the Pinnguaq Studio the “best in class” for social enterprise work in Canada creating impact in rural, remote and Indigenous communities.
The Pinnguaq Association believes first and foremost in experience and cultural fit within the organization. Please see our website and read our policies, reports and proposals to determine if you believe you would fit within this organization.
An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience or education equivalent in Business Development and Business Administration.
- Experience in sales and business development is highly prioritized to those with experience in social enterprise development in Canada.
- Management experience with teams in iterative development with a focus on AGILE. (Other project/team management experience will be considered)
- Knowledge, or experience in Northern, rural and remote communities is an asset.
- Experience working in technology (App, Game, Web Development) is a benefit.
Skills and Abilities
- Written and oral communications skills.
- Ability to identify long term market trends
- Outstanding organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and communication skills
- Project-management skills including managing production, experience executing communications and marketing initiatives
- Bilingual (Inuktitut, Anishinaabemowin, Cree and/or French as a second language would be beneficial)
- A great team player, excited about the opportunity to work with diverse teams to propose new ideas and help bring their vision to life.
Pinnguaq Association is strongly committed to fostering diversity within the communities we serve. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, women, visible minorities, persons’ with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Pinnguaq Association is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. Please inform us should accommodation be required at any point in the recruitment process.
APPLY TO: firstname.lastname@example.org